e-Learning@DMU Benchmarking Blog

This is a place for some chat about the HEA's e-learning benchmarking exercise - at least in its DMU incarnation...

Thursday, November 23, 2006

now I'm not one to encourage Richard with this tenuous link thing for too long - god, 6 weeks, not sure I can last that long - but...
My take on the benchmarking has to be that I am interested in us knowing where we are and that we have improved or not. I am less interested in knowing that we are better/worse than some other HEI up the road or far away because comparisons are very difficult at anything other than a simplistic level and can/do lead to Daily Mail type league tables which forces us to play a game which is unhelpful, indeed counter-productive to bothus as an institution and the sector in general. I know that seems all a bit wishy washy liberal but, hey, you can't fight your true self (well not at my age!). all of that will only lead to someone saying "why aren't we as good as those Aussies at cricket then?" or calling for the sacking of England Managers because there is a feeling that we still run the empire and should be able to rule the world at whatever game we choose to play (there, got the link in after all!)
so, as long this process benefits us and our students I think it is worth doing. when it becomes a stick to beat us with because we have fallen below Poppleton in some e-learning league table then it is time to draw stumps and go home...

1 Comments:

  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger harish said…

    Funny olde game this! Slowly but surely we have got there. As I have confirmed with Nick earlier today, I know we at DMU are excellent with eLearning. This benchmarking exercise has made us rethink some of the operational and strategic issues. This will only make us do better.

    Going back to cricket more importantly, my life's ambition has been to be a cricket commentator and I am privilaged that I am doing that is some form, shape and size with the grace of RH. The only point I would like to make here is that we should empower and trust our youth and young talent coming through, not going back to bringing back Colin Cowdry or Giles - when we have the opportunity to get our youth tried and tested at the highest level. Look at our find in the summer - Stuart Broad. He should be in the squad and Panesar be playing now in the team.

    BTW, this age thing only applies to sport BUT in education, the older you are, the more mature and knowledgeable you are..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home